Dear readers, many times our customers ask for help to make their WordPress site SEO friendly. Though WordPress is the best option for developing small business site, but it inherently possess some features which are not as desired. Following is the list of process you should follow to create your WordPress site SEO friendly.
1) Theme or Design: You must design your site with care or select a theme which allow crawler to index properly. Moreover a decent theme will give you better conversion rate. I recommend you go with responsive design to get benefits of increasing mobile visitors.
2) Meta title and meta description: To get custom title and description you will require to install WordPress all in one SEO Pack or SEO by Yoast plug-in. You can also install other plug-in as per your taste.
3) Site Loading Speed: Nowadays this is important for SEO perspective as Google also said that speed is the part of their algorithm. We recommend you install W3 total cache plug-in, this will allow you to server content with gzip, cached, minified html, css and js.
4) Social Sharing: This is also a part of algorithm of Bing and Google. Add sharethis or any other plugin which enables your visitor to share your content in social media with easy available social buttons.
5) Always write content for users and try to add at least one desired keyword in it.
6) Disallow unnecessary pages: Either use robots.txt plugin or manually you should disallow unnecessary pages like wp-admin, wp-content, thanks, tag, category. In SEO plugings you will get options for adding meta robots like nofollow and noindex for page specific requirement.
7) In blog index page always show post excerpt and don’t display full content, because some time this may cause duplication issues. You can do this by changing content word with excerpt in bog index.php file in editor mode.
8) Always avoid stop words in url. And install custom url plugin to modify them.
9) In settings section select post name as url..
10) Always redirect your old page to new with 301 redirection method. Install redirection plugin as this will ease your task.
11) Alt tags are important and adds relevancy to your image so use descriptive alt tags.
12) Google analytics will give your visitors statistics and will help you to go in right direction. So add analytics code in all-in-one SEO pack and this will automatically inserted in required pages.
13) After inserting analytics code you can verify with Google webmaster to get insight of search performance and receive error messages.
14) Sitemap.xml plugin help you to create it automatically and ping it to major search engines. You can also serve sitemap.html page for human visitors.
15) Prepare social media presence and business page.
16) After social media presence share all of your pages to them.
17) Register with great open directories like DMOZ.
18) Submit your site in good and niche directories.
19) Social Bookmarking sites will help you lot to get aware your site in short time, so do it in good SB sites.
20) Last but not least good quality content is the king, so you should prepare it and share with guest posting, infographic, in your site, articles sites and in social media networks.